Friday, July 20, 2018

The Butterfly Experience, as experienced by me...


When I saw this in the local press...


I couldn't resist checking it out. This is almost within walking distance of my front door. I wasn't expecting too much; I knew space would be limited and it is brand new, only opened for the first time on July 2nd of this year. Located within a local garden centre in a purpose built enclosure...



The butterfly Experience opens at 11am and closes at 4pm but on arrival soon after 11am there was nobody around to oversee visits and take the entrance fee of £2 per person (£1 for children). Somebody soon appeared though and suggested that it would be in order to look around and then pay on the way out. A (returnable) identification chart was helpfully provided (could have been even more helpful by having all the correct species listed) and before you could say 'Butterfly, Butterfly,flutter around, Butterfly, Butterfly, touch the ground...' I was  trying to acclimatise myself to the heat and humidity of the interior of the building.

Identification charts

Small it is and so there will never be a huge variety of species here, but from speaking to staff, the response from visitors thus far has been "Very encouraging and positive" and an expanded 'Butterfly Experience' next year is not out of the question. Somebody has obviously researched the needs of these tropical creatures and how to correctly house and care for them. The unit is well thought out and constructed with plenty of warmth, light and moisture. At one end there is a chrysalis house...


Interesting for me was the fact that the pupae all seemed empty. I guess you might expect that in mid-July, but will there be enough butterflies to sustain the population until the end of August, given the short life span of these insects? Although, I believe that the Owl butterflies can live for as much as 130 plus days: the Blue morpho and Flame, maybe a month or less?

In fact, let me see if I can get somebody on the telephone right now and put these questions to them.

In case you are unsure what a phone looks like ;-)

Alright then, I did manage to speak to a really helpful member of staff and this is what he told me. There are weekly deliveries of extra pupae/stock throughout the open season. With regard to the winter months; the whole shebang is dismantled to be re-instated next year prior to opening again. Any remaining butterflies or caterpillars, pupae, are handed over to a professional breeder, who will care for them until they are needed again. The plants I imagine won't cause a problem, as this is run by a capable garden centre anyway.

I also asked again about expansion plans and was told that there are no firm plans as yet, but the response has been fantastic from visitors,  including many school visits, and that the online feedback has been amazing too. 

I also understand from our chat that there are inspections from a wildlife organisation to ensure all is as it should be. 



There was one, large pupa that I picked up from the floor that appeared to be complete, whether it was still viable or not, I am not sure. I just placed it somewhere safe.



Butterfly houses are not great for taking photos because of the humidity and unnatural backgrounds, but I did get some photos so that you have an idea what to expect should you plan a visit...


Blue Morpho - Morpho peleides 

Common Lime Butterfly - Papilio demoleus



Leopard Lacewing - Cethosia cyane








Leopard Lacewing pupa- Cethosia cyane


Here is a photo I took of three different instars of the Owl Butterfly caterpillars..

Owl Butterfly caterpillars- Caligo memnon


Owl Butterfly caterpillars- Caligo memnon



Owl Butterfly ova (eggs)- Caligo memnon


Not sure of species for these eggs that I spotted, poss same as above?


Lastly. here are just a few of the butterflies that I photographed with my mobile phone...

Owl Butterfly - Caligo memnon

Iphidamas Cattleheart - Parides iphidamas?

The Flame -Dryas julia

Blue Morpho - Morpho peleides 

                                            



Common Lime Butterfly - Papilio demoleus
And so my impression is that it is a promising start and well worth a visit. Hopefully it will grow into something even better.


2 comments:

Rockwolf said...

Wow! Looks rather fabulous for a small place! Good for them! Hope it will be successful for them. Think you've captured some beautiful shots, and I especially love the owl butterfly caterpillars! Again, the detail you've captured in those eggs is incredible!

JJ said...

Was a lovely visit Maria and they were kind about letting me up close to get those egg photos. It seems to be well run and I wish them well.

Thank-you for another visit and uplifting comment.