Thursday, August 22, 2019

Is size important?




That was my reply. But what was the question? I'll tell you before the metaphorical ink has dried on this virtual paper. Well I always did enjoy doing things in a different order. Or as my dad would say in his best erudite manner, "No wonder it doesn't look right, you've got the whole thing arse about face." Well, he was a 'well versed' man! I remember him reciting his version of the famous 'Casabianca' poem (The boy stood on the burning deck).

Let's crack on then (no pun intended) and get this mini bug-fest underway- 


This is only a phone grab, but I was so pleased to see this Small Tortoiseshell butterfly at a local garden centre. I hadn't seen any this year until this one. If sightings are down everywhere, it's a worrying sign. Especially given this headline from The Guardian newspaper last year: 

Fears are growing for the small tortoiseshell butterfly after this once-common garden insect continued its baffling decline despite the hot summer proving a boon to most species.
The small tortoiseshell suffered its worst summer in the history of the Big Butterfly Count with sightings falling by 32% compared with last year, according to the charity Butterfly Conservation.




The sharp-eyed amongst you will have noticed that I have changed the header for my blog: I do this from time to time, just to keep things fresh and so don't worry if you don't like it, it will be changed again sometime soon. I have been messing around with digital art effects, the picture above is a digital oil painting of my damselfly photograph from a while ago.

The point is though that I also changed the wording to 'It's a fascinating world' and here is an example of just why nature in particular fascinates me....


The photo on the left is of a Parent bug brooding her eggs. The one on the right, a 'clutch' of Hawthorn Shieldbug eggs.


There's no place here for sarcasm Spock! Anyhow, sarcasm is just one of the many services I myself can offer. I have yet to share the fascinating facts, but feel they are about to spill out onto this page right now: yes, here they come...

...the Hawthorn Shieldbug measures about 13-15mm in length. The Parent bug 7-9mm. Why then is it that the Parent bug (smaller) lays larger eggs, and there can be up to 50 or more; yet the Hawthorn shieldbug (larger) lays smaller eggs and usually only around 10 to 14? 

As far as I can tell, they both only produce one generation per year, so that isn't a factor. I wonder if the Parent bug is more prone to predation or parasitic attacks? Usually when nature provides large broods, it is with the expectation that  mortality rates will be high. 

But the difference in egg size? Now that does puzzle and fascinate me.

Here's another example...




I am not sure of the species of this Geometer caterpillar, it could be a Red-green Carpet Moth larva, and I guess most wouldn't even give it a second glance.

But to me it was amazing: how does it know that its best chance of not being spotted by predators is to align itself along the leaf vein? From a distance it will (and did) look like just a bump on the vein. Caterpillars don't have reasoning ability. I guess it's just hard-wired to do that huh?



These survey sheets represent just some of the work I have been doing to try and build a picture of the invertebrate life in one of my local woods. As far as I am aware, it has only been surveyed once before and my findings have far exceeded those records already. 

It's a continuing project that started in 2011 and so new species to add are becoming harder to find with each passing year. When one does appear though, it is quite exciting, and especially so if that find is something scarce like the beetle I located a couple of days ago...


Platycis minutus - A Net-winged Beetle

This is Platycis minutus, a Net-winged beetle of the family Lycidae. The latest information I can find states that there are just four species in the UK and " All are scarce as they are found in association with ancient woodland areas, where the larvae can be found in white-rot areas of decay in dead wood."

This was indeed the ancient part of the woods where I spotted the beetle and it was foraging I guess, on bracken. There seems to be some confusion as to just what these beetles eat. I have read they feed on tiny invertebrates, slime mould, plant juices, pollen and nectar, and even that they are short lived and don't feed at all!

Meanwhile, in the garden:


Plagiognathus arbustorum - a Plant Bug

At least I think that's what it is. I trawled through the 'British Bugs' website several times looking for confirmation and it seems the closest match. Always happy to be corrected though because these can be really tricky, especially for an amateur like me.

Hmmm...I still haven't gotten around to explaining the opening to this update yet have I. Well I guess...


Yes: the time is now!
Big breath, and...here goes:

I was in the very same woods where I found the net-winged beetle and as per usual, was checking for something completely different to what I found. There has been an increase of Painted Lady butterflies recently: here's one I photographed:


And so what I was doing was checking the thistle to see if I could find any eggs or larvae. I was starting to get a little frustrated at not being able to locate anything, when after checking dozens of plants, I spotted this lovely creature...


 Larinus planus - The Thistle-bud Weevil
This particular weevil is not liked by some; it feeds primarily on thistle buds, with the larvae being most destructive to them. In North America it has been used as a biocontrol agent against the Canada thistle, or creeping thistle as we call it.

I feel however  that everything is here for a reason and is a valued part of the ecology. It is mankind's messing with nature that is the problem.

Anyhow, back to the story: I squatted down to photograph the weevil. Once I get into macro photography of an insect, I tend to be oblivious to anything going on around me and pay little attention to anything other than concentrating on getting the best picture I can muster.

I took a couple of shots and stood up to see a woman with a dog (thankfully on a lead for once) observing me. "Were you talking to yourself just then" she asked with a smile. "Not exactly" I said, "I was thanking a weevil."

"You were thanking a weevil", she mocked! "Well, yes. It was kind enough to allow me a couple of photos, and so I thought I should at least thank it" I explained."

She raised her eyebrows, twisted her mouth to one side, drew a breath, paused... and walked away! Phew.



Corizus hyoscyami - A Rhopalid bug
It's good to see this attractive bug in the garden once again. They appear during August - September most years, and so must be well established now.



No comments: