Thursday, March 26, 2020

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

I'm not big on blasphemy. Profanity and I are not bedfellows. Expletives rarely gush forth from my mouth, unless in jest; I don't cuss a lot is what I am saying.

And unlike a pal of mine who shall remain nameless here (but his initials match those of Seth Lakeman...Yes you), I abhor the 'C' word!  

However I feel I must make mention of it today, and so here goes 'Coronavirus', there, I said it! 

My two-penneth (and by the way, one dictionary definition of that phrase is: 'It suggests that the opinion may not be worth much') goes like this:


Whilst not wishing to undermine the severity or seriousness of this current situation, I personally am finding some solace in how quiet  things are becoming worldwide. It's like the world is holding its breath: pausing to take stock. Meditating on how it should progress. It also reminds me in part of how it was as a child, before we all became manic, self possessed little ants. To quote John Lennon: "Poor boy, when you're dead you don't take nothing with you but your soul - think!"



I've been checking the local pond for signs of frogspawn and yesterday, was rewarded with several clumps...




Actually I was pleased to see more than just frogspawn; because these long chains...



...are toad spawn.




I've been lucky enough to find a couple of creatures over the past days that I have not previously seen for a few years. Starting with this tiny spider: Gibbaranea gibbosa -




Yes, with the common name of Humped Orbweb Spider, this is now the only species in this genus found in the UK. There was a second species, but having been last recorded in 1950 it is now considered extinct. 

Last seen by me around 5 years ago, this spider is only about 5mm in length and inhabits the foliage of trees, particularly evergreens (although my last sighting was on grass). I did find a similar looking species a couple of years ago...


This one is Cyclosa conica, a similar size but has just one turbacle that is more of a cone shape than hump.

Sometimes I don't even have to look for spiders, they find me...



I must try and remember to take my glasses for close work with me when I go bug hunting, if I am going to be able to find and photograph tiny things like this Collembola...


I think this is Sminthurinus niger and at just 1mm is quite a challenge. The top photo is about 4 times lifesize.


Now then: you might just want to gird up your loins prior to this next find, because there is a bit of a tale to it, which I will do my best to relate in as succinct a way as possible.

Should you be clueless as to how to gird, then here's a quick guide...



If on the other hand you have no inkling what girding actually is? This might help...it's a bit like the  phrase Australian's use for foreplay...


Okay, to quote Damon Albarn: 'So the story begins'...

Sometimes, even I think that what I like to do is odd! So there I was, staring at a fir tree for no apparent reason, when it crossed my mind that should anybody appear at this particular moment, there might be questions.

What I tend to do in these circumstances is play out little scenarios in my head, where I play both myself and the protagonist. Here's how this one went:

Inquisitive passer-by: ' Excuse me, what are you doing? What is that huge camera for?'

Me: 'Yes, I agree it looks kinda strange, but  there is a method in my madness. I photograph invertebrates, and there is a particular creature that is associated with this type of tree, which I have only ever found once before, and so I always check just on the off chance of.....'

Me: (talking out loud now) wait a minute...there's one right there!

And that's how I came to spot a commonenough ladybird, but one I have only ever found once before...


This is Anatis ocellata, commonly called the Eyed Ladybird. The adult Anatis ocellata  has a variable number of black spots (usually 15-18, but may be 0-23) on a red background. Each spot is surrounded by a yellowish halo. It's our largest native ladybird with a length of 7-8.5mm.






I also came across this weevil closeby...



Not sure of species but thinking maybe Dorytomus         




What else can I share with you before taking my leave? I know, even though this is another common critter, I thought it quite striking...



A Common Centipede (Lithobius forficatus). These grow to around 30mm in length and have 15 pairs of legs.  The back two pairs are extra long and are used to feel their way around.




And so I shall quietly creep away into isolation now and hope that I can continue to get out at least once a day for a walk with the camera, to bring you fresh updates. Meantime, you know all's well with the world when you can stand in the spring sunshine, admire the blossom and listen to the birds and bees going about their own lives unconcerned...

(Just a quick reminder that the video will be too large to show in the emailed version of my blog - you need to view the online one)









4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comedy, philosophy, entomology and some stunning photographs.

I came upon your blog by accident but enjoyed this post enormously. I will try to catch some of the older ones. Thanks

David.

JJ said...

Thanks for finding me and enjoying David.

Always nice to get feedback, especially since most folk just don't seem to have the time or inclination anymore.

Rockwolf said...

Glad I'm not the only one that has conversations with myself! I talk to the inverts too!
Love the ladybird, such an impressive and beautiful species isn't it??
Mx

JJ said...

Yes, I have been known to speak to the inverts too Maria. The Eyed ladybirds are fabulous aren't they. I know you see many more of them than I do too ;-)