Thursday, October 22, 2020

The Song of Wandering Aengus

27,000  is the answer. What's the question? (answer at end of blog update)


Just before we get into a new update proper; here's something that has been vexing me of late. Take a look at the following images for a clue...


So what do you think is the connection between these characters?


Well for me (and I realise that you'll all have your own ideas on this) they represent people who might just qualify as being...


God forbid, it may even be this chump...


But I could never have imagined that I was so far behind the curve to the point of not even knowing who this guy was when I Googled the very same question...


And the moral behind all this? Don't Google stupid questions!

(The funniest one I saw was..."HOW DO YOU TURN OFF CAPSLOCK?") 



The Garden cross spider (Araneus diadematus)

Of course it's a spider! Why didn't I warn you? Because I thought it would be obvious given that I wrote Happy Arachtober, that's why. What d'ya mean you couldn't read that text! If you only knew how I slave over these updates, putting every ounce of my creativity into each one - I know, you wouldn't/couldn't care less. All you want is a spider-free update, right? 

Well, I value your input and will always try to accomodate your particular interests and thoughts. With that in mind then;here's another spider photo...


In fact...I was looking at somebody's Flickr photos recently and saw the word 'triptych' and thought what a lovely word it is, and so let's have our very own triptych, and then we can put the spiders to bed for this update...


In reverse order (why not) they are called, a Long jawed orb-weaver, which should in my opinion have been called a Long bodied orb-weaver? The top right spider is called a Misumena vatia crab spider (male) and the first spider, top left is called Samantha I think...because I am not 100% certain about the species of that one!


Okay, if you are still with me, I promise, no more spiders on this web-log.





What about ants? Well, you haven't posted any ant pictures for an age JJ!

"What about me...I'm an ant!

Okay then, you haven't posted any ant pictures...except for that one: don't you have any more JJ?

"Well yes I do actually, I have another I could share, but you're not going to like it."

Oh, and why is that?

"You'll see..."


Nothing wrong with that JJ. It's a Fire ant isn't it? Or a Red ant at least.

"Ah but...look what it's investigating: a spider egg sac, at least I assume it is investigating the eggs, and not the actual spider, which, as you can see, is still there also."

Oh I see, the 'S' word again!


Not sure what the feck that has to do with owt, but still, I do love learning new things. Meanwhile, nose to the grindstone and all that...



I am pleased to be able to announce that the spectacular Rhododendron Leafhoppers are back...


Yes, 'Graphocephala fennahi' is a species of leafhopper native to the United States. Its common name derives from it feeding on the sap of rhododendrons. The species was introduced to Great Britain in the 1930s and I am lucky enough to be able to find these locally most years.

Here's another, much smaller species...

I think this one is Eupteryx species, but they can be extremely tricky to separate from a photograph. I found it on a wild plant that I call Elephant's Ear; now what is its name? Erm...let me think...hang on.. oh yes! Elephant's Ear, that's it. Bergenia perhaps if ya wanna be pedantic, oh, you do!


What about this tiny lava though...

I'm not too sure just what species this is: I found it beneath what I think was a Red Oak leaf, and so that's not much help. If I manage to sort an ID out, or if anybody else knows and contacts me, I will let you know. It might be moth, rather than butterfly and will possibly hibernate until spring.

-------------------

Spiders, ants, hoppers, caterpillars, what else? Hmmmm, what about a cracking fly...


Amazingly (well it was amazing to me) I found some parsley still in flower in one of the fields I visit. It had attracted this big Tachinid fly but it wasn't keen on having my lens shoved in its face. However, as this was the only parsley flowering, it soon returned, having scooted off, and I was then able to grab this photo.


Back near the beginning of this meandering update we had a triptych, and so let's go one better now and end on a tetraptych, or quadriptych if you prefer: either way, it comprises four images...


And they are, another spider that isn't a spider at all but is an Arachnid all the same; actually a spider mite. A cute little barkfly nymph, a hairy snail (yes there is such a thing) and another barkfly, this time an adult that landed on my hand whilst out walking (me not the barkfly).


Postscript: If you are wondering what inspired my title for this update, it seemed apt in that my mind wandered a lot during the writing, as you might be able to tell. Also I too was searching for something, although in my case, it was just some missing photos I wanted to use. 

If you are interested though, here is the lovely poem:

The Song of Wandering Aengus

BY WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS
I went out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done,
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

Question/answer is: ¿ʞ∩ ǝɥʇ uᴉ ʇɔǝsuᴉ ɟo sǝᴉɔǝds ʎuɐɯ ʍoH

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi JJ

Your writing is becoming very creative in these blogs! Funny as hell too by the way ;-)
I just love the twists and turns and the way you leave us hanging, then eventually clue us in with an answer.

Keep blogging my friend.

JJ said...

Hi!
It would be real nice if when people comment without signing in (and I fully understand why anybody wouldn't want to) they just put a name at the end of their comment.

Then at least I would not have to start my reply in this impersonal manner ��

Hi Anon!

Thanks so very much for letting me know how you enjoyed this update, and how you are ok with my warped sense of humour ��

I very much appreciate you taking time to write this.

Regards
JJ.