Monday, May 23, 2022

Something old, found something new!

 It's been a while since I updated my blog, but then as we know...time....

 FLIES!

So, just a few of the many flies I have seen around lately. There are a couple of Dagger flies (Empididae) and a Bluebottle, but not sure what species that spotted one I spotted is. Probably Anthomyia species?


I've seen quite a number of these tiny froghoppers now; the ones that make the 'Cuckoo-spit' froth. But I have never until now seen one inside just one large bubble!


I was only speaking to somebody the other day about how, after so many years bug-hunting, it becomes trickier to find something new to you. Especially if like me, you are confined to the same area for most of the time. But that's exactly what I did recently when I came across this next bug. 

What made it even more pleasing in a way, was that for all my searching of the fields, woods and orchards I do locally, this was found on the doorframe of my house! 

Oh yes...what is it? Well, it's a Bordered Shieldbug (Legnotus limbosus). Only around 4.5mm and associated with bedstraw (Galium), widespread in Southern Britain apparently, but unobtrusive, as it burrows into the loose soil at the base of plants.


Legnotus limbosus

Here's another thing you don't see everyday of the week!

 Oh yes...I forgot the obligatory warning:




Now when I first saw this with the naked eye, I couldn't actually decipher exactly what was happening. Be honest JJ...you couldn't even tell if it was one or two spiders!
Anyway, I knew that spiders exhibit strange ways of mating and so a little research proved that this is what is taking place. These are two Pardosa (Wolf spiders) caught 'In flagrante delicto'. Although I am sure there was no wrong doing involved: at least I would like to think not. Another first for me.


More spiders now! Why? Well because I rarely get to see and photograph the male of the species: this particular species anyhow. This is a male Zebra Jumping Spider.
Just look at the chelicerae on this bad boy! 

(The chelicerae are a spider's jaws.  They are located on the very front of a spider.  Every spider has a pair of chelicerae, and they are tipped with fangs.  Chelicerae are filled with muscles, and are used to hold prey while the spider injects venom.)

Those are the black 'stalks' between the front legs that you can see. They are so large in this species that the pedipalps have had to be elongated.

(Like the chelicerae, a spider's pedipalps are part of its mouth, and are located just between the chelicerae and first pair of legs. Pedipalps are jointed, and look somewhat like small legs. They are not used like legs, though.  Instead, they are more like antennae: pedipalps help the spider sense objects that it encounters.  Some spiders also use their pedipalps to shape their webs and to aid in prey capture and feeding.

Pedipalps are used by male spiders to transfer sperm to female spiders.  In fact, you can usually distinguish a male spider from a female because of the male's enlarged pedipalps).


How many spiders? Ah but, I wanted to include this one for three reasons. Firstly, the magnificent camouflage abilities of this Crab sider (Or flower spider as it sometimes gets called). Secondly, just look at the size of its prey: that bee is quite a meal for it. And lastly, erm, what was the last reason? Oh yes! This is the species that can change colour to match the background.


So what is the reason for yet another spider collage then JJ? 

Well how about, its my blog so I can do what the hell I like?


However, I do think I am savvy enough to realise that without you dear reader, I would be wasting my time writing these updates, and so with that in mind, this will be the last of the arachnids....for now. 

I think this may be a Sac spider? But I am not the world's expert on these creatures: until I became an adult (oh yes I am), I was frightened of them myself. My mother, God bless her instilled that in me.


Will a cute weevil make amends? Shame, because here is one...


During a whistle-stop visit to Norfolk recently, I got a chance to spend a little time at RSPB Strumpshaw Fen. Unfortunately, I was too early for the meadow area to be open, and also for the fabulous Swallowtail butterflies. I still managed a few bug photos though...



I'd love to get back there sometime for a more detailed, elongated visit, but I don't think it will be this year. 

_______________________________________

Do I have anything further to add to this blog update? You bet your sweet bippy I do: you might remember this (link) post from Jan 6th of this year? It concerned caterpillars I had found in my garden. I was pretty confident after some research they were of the Buff-ermine moth. Well, I can now confirm that as being correct, because they have begun to emerge...


Beautiful little moths aren't they.

Meanwhile, still in my little garden...




The Speckled bush crickets are starting to appear.

And this has to be the biggest Hoverfly larva I have ever seen: certainly, the longest...


That aphid needs to be careful too, because the larva will feed on them, in fact, they love to!





A couple of tiny hoppers I found on willow. I think I may have seen this species before, but unsure as these are the smallest I have ever photographed. Maybe first instars.








No comments: