Tuesday, September 01, 2026

74 Minutes in Comfort's Wood...


It's Saturday July 18th 2026 and I'm paying a visit to one of my favourite haunts. 

I arrive at Comfort's Wood at 11:47am and leave at 13:01pm.

This then is a blog update all about what I found and photographed in those 74 minutes.             


Alebra wahlbergi or albostriella: A Leafhopper





A Ribbed Cocoon-Making Moth...Cocoon Possibly Bucculatrix species




A Pollen or Sap Beetle



A Birch Catkin Bug Nymph




Bombus muscorum perhaps?




A Bordered Orb Weaver Spider






A Brassica Bug






A Hoverfly: Cheilosia illustrata, I think.





A Cinnabar Moth Larva




A Common Carder Bee (?)




A Delicate Apple Capsid Bug - Malacocoris chlorizans





Dicyphus errans or pallidus- A Plant Bug






A European Garden Spider




Evancanthus interruptus: A Leafhopper 






A Froghopper






A Green Shieldbug Nymph


There were lots and lots of hopper moults to be found on this day...







A Hoverfly: Leucozona laternaria



Unsure of this one. Possibly just a drone fly?




Issus coleoptratus: A Planthopper






A Green Lacewing




A Lacewing Larva (Trash Bug)






A Hoverfly: Myathropa florea (Plus Ichneumon Parasitic Wasp in second image)






The Mystery Object: Google Lens says a Mantis Ootheca!





An Oak Bush Cricket Nymph




Posss: Phalangium opilio a Harvestman



A Plant Bug (Still requires identity)





This was a really interesting find for me. This spider has been identified as probably being Episinus maculipes. It's a nationally scarce, Comb-footed Spider with only one previous record anywhere close to here.  












Valenzuela flavidus A Barkfly




A Ragwort Flea Beetle





A Red-legged Shieldbug




Rhingia rostrata  A Snout-Hoverfly




Rutpela Maculata - A Spotted Longhorn Beetle






A Scorpion Fly Possibly Panorpa communis




Another Spider moult





Spider with lunch




Tachina fera: A Tachinid Fly





A tiny Unidentified Weevil. It could be a Clover Weevil?






3 Tortoise Bugs






Zonocyba bifasciata  A Leafhopper


And that concludes my finds. Quite a nice amount for the short amount of time I spent in the woods on this day. 

I apologise for this being just a factual update, bereft of any humour or trivia, but these are strange times and my life is currently reflecting that.









No comments: