Friday, June 19, 2020

That's what happens in spring...

Shall we buck the trend and begin with a graph (of kinds)

...so this really demonstrates cell division; but for my purposes, it is going to represent proliferation!

Why? Yes, good point: why?

Erm, well, because...because...that's what happens in spring. Take the Red-legged Shieldbug Pentatoma rufipes for instance. Their growth cycle seems to be at the final instar nymph stage right now, and I am finding lots of them on many kinds of trees and bushes...


I just hope that the proliferation of these instars translates to lots of adult insects.

Moving right along then. Don't want to get...





If like me you get out early in the morning, you might well come across lots of these too: Ladybird pupae are becoming numerous and varied. This one is actually a Harlequin, but there are plenty of natives to be found also.


I guess you could imagine how the pupa would eventually turn into an adult Harlequin Ladybird that looks like this one...

Harder to believe though that it could look like this. But that's what happened; it became a red and black one that looks like this photo...


Get out even earlier and you might find something like this...




Of course, if you were on the ball, which I am sure you are, you would spot that this is nothing more than a photo of a caterpillar I took in which the flash failed and I added a moon image to try and fool...well nobody really, let's be honest!




Here's another Shieldbug, that has already made it to adulthood: Troilus luridus, the Bronze Shieldbug. I don't think that Sawfly larva had any idea just how dangerous it was sitting there next to this bug. It soon found out though, as the second image shows. Bronze Shieldbugs are a woodland species and are highly predatory!







Something I found on thistle in mixed woodland: but what?














Instead, let's return to the 28th word of this update: Proliferation!


Now would you believe me if I said there are 28 larvae here to illustrate my point in a symetrical manner? No? good, because there are a few more than that actually. 
It occured to me when I spotted these that I am seeing larger than usual (or what has become usual) numbers of larvae - instars, and even eggs this year. Could it be connected to the improved conditions I wondered? 

Then again, I am always wondering about something; things like:

Why do placebos work?

Why are some humans left-handed, and do some apes favour the left?

Why is yawning contagious?

Why isn't phonetic spelled the way it sounds?

What is a "free" gift? Aren't all gifts free?



I think perhaps I had better 'beetle' off. Before I do though, you may already know that I am not generally a fan of dark backgrounds to my images. However, recently I have been experimenting a little with just that, to see how it changes the feel and ambience of a photo. Here are a couple of examples, starting with a plant bug 'Grypocoris styis'...






A couple of almost transparent Psyllids...


And a Horsefly...




Just a quick note to alert you to the fact that my Wealden articles have resumed following the enforced covid break. You can find the latest one by clicking on the 'My articles for the Wealden' link at the top of this post.


No comments: