Monday, June 29, 2020

Pale legs and a prickly pair...

Many years ago now my sister went through a stage of growing cacti and succulents. Things like Aloe Vera, Ball Cactus, Bunny Cactus and Strawberry Hedgehog, plus the ever present Prickly Pear. Prickly Pear looks like this... 

Or perhaps like this if you are a realist...


If you are wondering what the letter top right is all about; I thought I'd have a go at making my own PPE (think about it - but not for too long).

What in the name of Adam does this have to do with anything JJ? 

Erm, well only that this is exactly what I thought of when I first saw the creature I am about to share with you. So come with me now, back to Saturday June 20, when, on one of the blisteringly hot recent days, I spotted an egg on a wild rose plant in local woodland.

Using the available information: that being the food-plant and shape of the egg, I had some idea what it might be, but having never previously seen one for myself, decided to observe it and record its development. The next eight pictures do just that.


I'm sharing them here in a style  I am calling my 'Full Montage'...



 As you can see it changed considerably over the next week, with most of the significant changes all happening on June 26th...




It darkened considerably and by the morning of June 27 it had a definite craqueleur affect going on.



This (above) was when I first checked at around 6am. It seemed about to reveal what exactly was inside, and so I kept a close eye on it and at just after 9am, this fabulous little creature made its entrance into the big bad world...




Yes, as I suspected, this is a Dock Bug nymph (Coreus marginatus) and this next photo clearly shows those 'Prickly Pair' antennae!




Eggs take around 3 to 4 weeks to hatch and so I guess this one must have already been at least 2 weeks plus when I found it. But what a rare treat to get to see the egg and a nymph right after eclosure (emergence). Those pale, banded legs and disproportionate antennae! They are also amazingly hairy and spiky at this stage.



By the next day it looked somewhat darker...





By the way, before we move on, did you know there is a Prickly Pear Island? No, me either. Yes, it's off the coast of Antigua West Indies and is uninhabited.



Here's another egg that I discovered in the same woodland. This one was about the same size, but a very pale green colour. 


This egg became a beautiful Poplar Hawk-moth larva: the transformation from finding the egg to adult larva took 19 days...



At the time of the final moult we had more very hot weather here in Kent and I could no longer keep up fresh supplies of willow. Even by standing the twigs in water, it would wilt within a few hours. And so I released the caterpillar onto a nice big willow tree, where it can continue its life cycle.

A phone grab of the released caterpillar



That image won't mean a thing to you unless you know about cricket (who does?). I'll give you a clue, should you be even remotely interested; his name is David Lloyd.


'Early one morning, just as the sun was rising, I heard a young maid sing in....' ♫ ♫ Not quite: but I did see this sleeping Bumble Bee. I suppose it was some time after 5.30am and as you may be able to see from the photograph, still a bit of dew around. 

I think this is Bombus lucorum - The White-tailed Bumble Bee, but I could equally be wrong.



Take a look at these two images below...




Remarkably similar huh?

And yet, two photographs of two completely different species of moth larvae. You'd be forgiven for thinking that maybe the only difference is the colour, and it could be just that one has had an extra moult to the other?

But no, not the case Sherlock! The first picture is a Puss Moth larva (Cerura vinula) and the lower photo is of a Sallow Kitten Moth larva (Furcula furcula).


What to end on then? How about this...


I don't often get to photograph flies and so my knowledge is pretty lacking, but I think this may be a type of Snipe Fly? It looked kinda attractive sitting on the Crocosmia  montbretia after rain the other day. 

'One for the road?'

What a ridiculous saying that is by the way; one drink is what is meant by it? 

Witness this exchange in Parliament 1939: 

Lady Astor asked if the Prime Minister would bear mind the fact that even a moderate quantity of alcohol was dangerous.
Captain Wallace [The Minister of Transport] replied: I have read the report and know very well that the noble lady is not favour of what is known as "one for the road".
However, I do believe it harks back to the days when people would be travelling by foot, not by car.

Oh my giddy aunt! (From 'The journal of a disappointed man')
Time to go...

So now you are probably thinking that I have forgotten to enlighten you as to what the mystery object was in my last update eh? Well, no, it's just that I am unsure myself. It appears to be the remains of an insect or bug; but what caused its demise, I cannot fathom as yet.


I'm off to suck on a strawberry hedgehog!


No comments: