Sunday, February 28, 2021

I'm sorry I haven't a clue...

 Hello chums!

I thought I'd begin this soirée with a dollop of cuteness. Here's a little visitor to the garden (by the way, yes I do know a soirée is usually an evening affair with music: it is evening as I write, and there is music embedded in the video, so let's not get pedantic so early in proceedings, eh?)...

I think this is a field mouse, but I know less about identifying meeses than I do about counting from one to ten using both hands. 

So shall we move on to something that I do know about? 

When I said that I know about these creatures, what I meant was, I know they are Staphylinidae larvae (Rove beetle) but I wouldn't like to go further than that: as part of my defence regards not knowing species, I would like to submit the following excerpt from Wikipedia your honour: With roughly 63,000 species in thousands of genera, the group is currently recognized as the largest extant family of organisms.


Let's see if I do any better with this offering. Take a look at this next photograph (not mine BTW, credit to 'kerbtier.de')


This has been identified as Latridiidae species (a Minute scavenger beetle) and I think it looks remarkably like a beetle that I discovered in my garden t'other day...


Okay, I agree you cannot tell from this image, but this is just to demonstrate how tiny it was at around 2mm. That's a japonica leaf it is perched on (can beetles perch, or is that just birds?)



What do we think? Well I know what I think; I think I was pretty damn certain until I uploaded the images, now I'm not quite so sure...typical! 

How about this funky bug then...



I'll let you tell me what this one is? 

Don't know huh? Not as easy as you thought? What if I told you it is actually a Shore bug: would you believe me? Well, you shouldn't, because it isn't! 

No this beauty is a Ground bug and as I haven't had a plump for ages and you can't beat a good plump, I am going to plump for Peritrechus geniculatus.

If that proves to be incorrect, please address all communications to Mrs Trellis of North Wales. If you have lost the ability to write snail-mail letters, then please feel free to email just the word 'Plethora', because that means a lot to me.


I wouldn't mind betting that it's not only me who's never seen a springtail egg-laying? Well, we are all in for a treat now then, because that's what is happening in this next image...


The inset is just to give you an idea of how it looked to the naked eye. And here's another photo from a few moments later...



How about a triform of hoverfly larvae...


Yes, I've been finding a lot of these recently and so I'm hopeful it may be a good year for hoverflies locally. 

Whilst we are doing threesomes, how about a trinity of weevil photos...


'Sitonia lineatus' is my guess for this fine weevil, based on the fact that. that's what I think it is. 

I've left this as long as I possibly could: in fact, if I left it any longer it'd be in the next update! You have been warned...well, you haven't yet, but you will have been in a nano-second or two...


Alright! Didn't your mummy ever tell you that all good things come to those who wait? This isn't necessarily a good thing, but that's beside the point...





Yes, I thought why not end on a spider photo or two; if you're reading this, you must have made it this far and so if you bail-out now I cannot complain, so here it is a HUGE spider I found in the house yesterday...


Actually, I lied about the size of this boy, just for dramatic effect - he was only less than 20mm from tip to toe.





No comments: