Thursday, March 18, 2021

Jeez Sheila, give them punkies the old Aussie salute will ya!

 Ceratopogonidae IS THE FAMILY

Forcipomyia IS THE CREATURE

What am I talking about? BITING MIDGES! Well, that's what we call them here in the UK. Whereas, according to Dr. Art Borkent, a worldwide expert on this group, common names in North America are 'no-see-ums' or punkies. In Australia (Bless 'em) they get called sand flies or 'little bastards'.

Larvae of many Forcipomyia are terrestrial, living that period of their lives under bark and rotting logs, feeding on microorganisms. They are tiny too, around 3-4mm at their biggest.

Little wonder then that I knew zilch of these fascinating creatures prior to discovering larvae under a log that I didn't recognise, but turned out to be Forcipomyia. I should show you a photograph shouldn't I? Okay, I will...


The problem I had was that I only had my 100mm lens and no flash, hence the photos I could get were not great regards detail. Once I had access to my full macro set-up (well, as full as it can be while my main lens is in for repair...again!) I was able to get a bit closer...


I was intrigued with the tiny sugar-like crystals these minute creatures have covering their upper bodies and so decided to try and observe one for a while, whilst I also tried to research the subject.

As things turned out, I hardly had time to take a breath, because the very next day the one I chose to observe became a pupa...



Just five days later, the adult insect emerged...


You'd imagine that it would be easy to identify the midge, with those distinctive wing markings right? Nope! Not a bit of it. But then, having read the following text, I didn't feel to bad about not being able to pin an ID down:

In the UK, alone there are more than 500 species of non-biting midges and more than 150 species of biting midges. Identification of the species is primarily based on details of the male genitalia examined under a microscope. Increasingly this is supplemented by the use of DNA ‘barcodes’.

No chance then!


You might remember this hoverfly larva from my last blog update...


It's another thing that I decided to observe; mostly because I have trouble matching these to the pupae, and then adult insects. I thought that I could maybe raise this through to maturity and that way have a definite ID for all stages (apart from the egg of course) and a reference for future finds.

The larva was photographed on 24th February: it was on 3rd March that it became a pupa...



10 days later and you could clearly see the hoverfly stripes showing...




By the following day, it was obvious that it was going to emerge sometime soon...



I watched the pupa religiously for the next day and a half, hoping to catch the emergence of the adult insect. It had other ideas though, and emerged very early the next morning: I think I only just missed it because when I found it, it was obviously still exhausted and waiting whilst its wings hardened etc. 

Syrphus ribesii

I'd already guessed at which species this might be, based on how the larva and pupa looked...


But I wanted to be sure, and so sent some pictures to my good friend and hoverfly guru Tim Ransom in Jersey. I asked if this could be confirmed as a male S.ribesii. After gently, and diplomatically reminding me that it is female hoverflies that have eyes separated at the top of the face, not males! Plus, the addition of another photograph showing the femur, he was able to confirm for me: thanks, as always Tim.


And so, another success for me. I now know for sure the identity of the larva, pupa and adult. 

After resting on a flower in my garden for a while, followed by a a quick mouthful of pollen (Hoverflies are one of the few insects able to digest pollen: the surface coating of pollen is resistant to most insect digestive juices), it took to the skies. 

I was a little surprised that this was a female as it seems still early in the season and male hoverflies tend to emerge and mature first,  to ensure reproduction is successful.



Even if I am not convinced spring has arrived here in the UK yet, the bugs seem to feel it has; here's another insect that emerged recently, this time I found it in the house...




It's a wasp of course: in fact, an Ichneumon wasp. I am sorely tempted to say this one is 'Ichneumon extensorius'. The reason I say that is because, that's what I think it is! Okay then, hope it is. If anybody is crackerjack at Ichneumonids, please don't hide your light under a bushel? 

I read that there are very few records of this species in the UK and so it would be sweet as apple-pie to know if the ID is sound. 

----------------------------------------------
Yes,  using the meteorological calendar, spring will always start on 1 March; ending on 31 May. But my old bones tell me that the temperature needs to rise considerably yet! In fact, you might well need a jumper, (tenuous link advancing at pace) good thing that I have one for you...



Oh yes it is a jumper! 

Jumping spider if ya wanna be pedantic..oh, you do, eh?


Well I think it's almost time for me to get my coat: before I do though, we should all take a look at the 'spider-on-a-pencil' photo don't you think? 



Yep...a teeny-weeny spiderling that appeared in my work studio t'other day. From the eye arrangement I would say it is Araneidae species. But then I would say that wouldn't I!







No comments: