Wednesday, April 21, 2021

What a carry-on?

 Shall we begin with a spider, get it over with at the outset?

Why am I asking you? It's my blog when all is said and done - is all said and done? Thought not, on we go with the spider then. Don't get yer knickers in a twist though, it's a very small spider, not even big enough to bite Tom Thumb's....thumb!


Just in case you still need time to adjust to the thought of an arachnid, here's a picture to contemplate for a few seconds: it's a meal, a kitten and a silly meme (well if it's good enough for Facebook, it's good enough for me and you)...





I was quite excited for two reasons when I found this critter; and I don't usually need two reasons to get excited! Firstly, it was in the house, I didn't even have to go looking for it. Just as well considering it is 2.5mm only. 

Secondly, it happens to be a new species for me. 'Talavera aequipes' if you want to know: same thing if you don't 😆

Obviously this one is uneducated and unable to read, because my spider book tells me it favours open, sunny sites, and hunts on the ground. She was indoors, on the ceiling.


You might remember this post from Feb 07 this year?


Well I have an answer to this conundrum now, because the occupant of that strange pupa emerged...


And I think it is indeed Triarthria setipennis. Yes, it remained a pupa for almost one month before the adult insect emerged.

I can also update you with an identity for this one from March 18th too...


It's the larva I found which became a pupa and eventually emerged as an adult biting midge. I have to thank a guy called Tony Irwin, on the UK Diptera site for identifying this as Forcipomyia bipunctata (female).

Staying with midges; this time non-biting, I found a terrific looking one the other day...

Psectrotanypus varius (female) 

Looks a bit like she's wearing a crinoline dress?




I spotted this minute Chalcid wasp t'other day: such detail despite its size eh. 

This one could be  'Perilampus aeneus' but then I could be Clark Kent!



Also this fabulous Hoverfly: this one could be 'Helophilus pendulus' but then I could be Tippi Hedren!



Having blogged for well over 12 years and posted in excess of 200 posts, my time may be drawing to a close as a blogger. 

This from the internet earlier today:

Blogger has not seen any major updates in a long time. In fact, whilst the blogging world moves into an ever advanced age, Blogspot has existed in a year of total inactivity. Given Google’s track record of killing off popular services such as Google Reader, Google Adsense and the demise of FeedBurner, many suspect this ‘spring clean’ will be the finalisation of the end to Blogspot – or at least, shutting down more features.

Google are making it harder and harder to stay, with updates that mean anybody who follows my blog by getting emailed notification, will no longer do so unless I undertake some complicated manoeuvres to re-instate the option using a third party.

The dashboard where I create these updates has changed for the worse.

Just today I had yet more changes I need to make before long, if I am to keep my blog 'LIVE'.

Time moves on and things change of course, but I only have finite time and patience to resolve these issues, so must think long and hard about all this. I must thank everyone who has stayed with me and contributed over the years, and rest assured that I will do my utmost to find a way to continue with the blog if at all possible.



Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following me

No comments: