Saturday, May 01, 2021

Strange flies and unidentified bees...

Can I preface this particular update by saying that there will be no shenanigans: none of the usual banter or crass jokes. No silly inset memes or emojis. Just straight-forward, down home, facts and photos. 

Alright then, let's get into it. How about starting with a fly that looks like it might be modelling itself on Billy Gibbons of rock band ZZ Top. These flies are know as Thick-headed flies, of the family Conopidae: this one might be 'Sicus ferrugineus'. Don't take that as gospel though, there are other similar ones, too similar for any certainty from this boy.


Here's the gruesome bit about these fascinating creatures: Most Thick-headed Flies wait on or near flowers for their selected host species to arrive (most often bees or wasps). On finding the correct host, they take good hold and pierce the body while in flight, quickly depositing an egg inside. 

The egg hatches and the larva feeds off the host's abdominal contents...blah, de blah...there's more, but I'll spare you!

Some Conopids mimic these beasties...


This is 'Eristalis tenax', a Hoverfly. Also known as a common drone fly. If you think this is much more acceptable than the Conopid fly, consider this; the larvae of this insect is called a rat-tailed maggot. On the plus side, you are unlikely to encounter one, as they are aquatic.

Staying with Conopidae for one more picture; this next one is disappointing for two reasons...


Firstly, I messed up my camera settings and blew out the wood anemone petals. Secondly, I was hoping that this was 'Myopa buccata', the intriguingly named  'Variegated Spring Beegrabber'. Our most striking of all Myopa. Said to be fairly frequent, but in 2 decades of bug-hunting I have never before found one. 

This was my only chance at a photo and despite returning for the next couple of days to search for more, I drew a blank.

Time for something prettier...


One of the Japonica shrubs in the garden flowered for the first time this year; I know the flowers are tiny, but quite stunning.

Back to the bugs now...


There's a Spirea bush at the front of my house and right now it is full bloom and attracting many insects. I am not even going to pretend I know which species this bee is, but it does look a bit like 'Lasioglossum' to me, which probably means it'll turn out to be 'Andrena' or something? 

It not only attracted bees, but also this Dock bug...


Meanwhile...


I was so pleased to find this Box bug in my local woods the other day. Having first discovered one there last year, I am hoping that this is proof they are living and breeding there. Especially given that I found not one, but two on the same day...


You might have noticed that neither photo shows the bug actually on Box. British Bugs says that it is now found most frequently on Hawthorn and Buckthorn. All of my finds have been on 'Rosa canina' - Dog-rose.

I'm not seeing as many butterflies as I would like yet, but I did come across this Peacock recently...



Oh yes, I have remembered something I wanted to share. Something that I feel I should have known, but didn't...



I knew that birch trees had catkins: but what I didn't realise is that those are the male flowers and that birch trees also have female flowers that look like this. I ought to have known that fact as I am sure it also applies to hazel trees, and most likely others too.

That's all!


Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts by following me

2 comments:

Millymollymandy said...

Hi JJ
Lovely shots as usual, especially the bee in the flowers. I don't think the blown out shot looks bad so don't worry.
I just wanted to let you know I have sent you an email, just in case it ends up in your spam folder. I had to change the hosting for my email subscribers but your email name was put down incorrectly and I can't edit it myself, so the email is inviting you to follow via the new host, Feedio. That's if you want to, of course!
Cheers my dear
Mandy

JJ said...

Hi Mandy!

Good to hear from you. Thanks for your supportive comments here ;-) So pleased you contacted me because I have had to do the very same thing with my blog. In fact I tried to comment on YOUR last update but couldn't seem to manage it somehow. I shall try again once I have checked my email and re-followed your blog.

All the best
JJ